Very Veggie Spaghetti (Squash) with Vegan Alfredo Sauce
The Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp olive or avocado oil
- salt and pepper
Prevent the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchement paper. Cut squash into 1 – 1 1/2 inch wide rings, and use a spoon to remove the seeds. Place the rings on the baking sheet. Brush both sides of the rings with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 30-45 minutes until the flesh is gonlden brown and tender and the outer shell is soft. Using a fork, gently pull out flesh from the rings.
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours or in hot water for 30 minutes, rinsed
- 3/4 cup water (I start with a bit less and then add more as needed)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 2 tsp tamari (fermented soy sauce)
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup steamed cauliflower
- 1/4 cup steamed broccoli
- 8-10 grape tomatoes, sliced
- ***Optional add 1/4 cup steamed or roasted cauliflower to the sauce (This will change the flavor slightly if you blend it in so you may want to add more tamari and nutritional yeast- works well for more selective eaters).
- *****Optional to add a favorite protein (Cashews have 5 g of protein per ounce and nutritional yeast provides 9 g per 2 TBSP- and all nine amino acids)
Steam the broccoli and Cauliflower. Add soaked and rinced cashews, water, nutritional yeast, tamari, salt and garlic to a high speed blender. Adjust thickness by adding more or less water. Adjust taste by adding more salt or tamari.
Once it is blended, pour into a small sauce pan and heat, stirring often until hot. Place your spaghetti squash in bowls, then pour the sauce over your squash. Top with steamed cauliflower, broccoli, raw tomato slices and serve.
If you try a recipe and have feedback, send me a message or post about it in the Facebook group: LN Wellness Community